Spicy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce is the perfect combination of sweet, tang and spice! It’s delicious with chicken strips, fries, raw veggies, and so much more. The recipe is also as easy as it gets.
You seriously won’t believe how easy it is to make your own homemade honey mustard. This recipe is the right consistency for dipping, but you could easily thin it out with vinegar or water for a quick salad dressing.
Honey mustard is hands-down my favorite condiment of all time. I’ve been making my own for so long and am so glad to share this recipe with all of you!
All you need to make your own Spicy Honey Mustard are six simple ingredients. I bet you already have all of them in your pantry or fridge right now.
- Yellow mustard- something like French’s yellow mustard.
- Vinegar- white wine or rice wine vinegar are my usual choices, but any kind will work.
- Cayenne pepper
See the recipe card for quantities.
It won’t take long to summarize how easy this recipe truly is.
- Put everything in a bowl.
- Mix that shit up.
The only other step is to let the prepared sauce sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving. This allows all of the flavors to blend together.
Given how simple this recipe is, there are only a few substitutions and variations to offer.
- Mustard- Dijon instead of yellow mustard will make a Honey Dijon Dipping Sauce.
- Mayo- Use vegan mayo to make the recipe vegetarian and vegan-friendly.
- Vinegar- Double the vinegar and add water as needed to make the consistency more like a salad dressing.
- Cayenne- Use your favorite hot sauce or red pepper flakes instead of cayenne pepper. Omit the cayenne pepper for a straight-up, not spicy Honey Mustard,
All you need to make this recipe is a bowl and a spoon. A small whisk is nice but not required.
Spicy Honey Mustard can be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks. Be sure to stir the sauce well after removing from the fridge.
Even if the ingredients were all at room temperature when the dipping sauce was made, be sure to store it in the fridge after it’s prepared. Mayo and mustard should both be refrigerated after opening.
Homemade dressings and dips are always better when they have a chance to chill before serving. The extra time allows the flavors to blend. The more aggressive flavors, like mustard in this recipe, tone down and allow the more subtle ones to shine.
Point is, let your Honey Mustard chill for at least 30 minutes after mixing.
You can't go wrong with fried chicken and honey mustard. My Corn Flake Chicken Strips would be the perfect dish to serve along with honey mustard.
If you're looking for something a little more unique, my Cilantro Chicken Sandwiches and Tots would be fire (AKA delicious) with this dipping sauce.
Spicy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce is addictive, delicious, and easy to make. Once you make your own homemade sauce, you’ll never buy it again. Let me know what you think of this super simple dip.
Spicy Honey Mustard Dipping Sauce
- ½ cup mayonaisse
- 6 Tb yellow mustard
- 2 Tb honey
- 1 Tb white wine vinegar
- ¼ - ½ tsp ground cayenne pepper
- ⅛ tsp salt
- Mix all ingredients together. Chill for a minimum 30 minutes before serving.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Yes, just substitute vegan mayo for regular and the recipe is vegan-friendly.
Your favorite hot sauce or red pepper flakes would both work as a substitute for cayenne.
No. Rice wine vinegar or any other mild, light-colored vinegar will work.