Peanut Butter Honey Cookies are unlike any other peanut butter cookies you’ve ever had. The flavor of these cookies is crazy delicious. Peanut butter is combined with sweet, floral honey and a dash of cinnamon and then topped off with a pinch of flaky Maldon sea salt leaving you with a dance of sweet, salty, and nutty flavors in your piehole.
The texture is also different than a lot of peanut butter cookies. These cookies spread a bit more in the oven leaving a thinner cookie. Also, the texture isn’t as crumbly as a lot of peanut butter cookies, but the cookies aren’t chewy because there are too many peanuts in the recipe for them to not have a good crunch. Honey helps hold the dough together in a way I think is unique to peanut butter cookies.
It is also the secret in this recipe. Adding honey really seems like a no-brainer to me given how many peanut butter, honey, and banana toasts I’ve made for myself before, or duh, how much I love honey roasted peanuts. When I first made this recipe, it didn’t include the honey roasted peanuts, but I felt like I wanted to amp up the peanut flavor and texture.
Once I decided that honey roasted peanut would be a rad addition, I thought well what the hell, why not just add honey to the recipe too! The cinnamon was a last minute addition after tasting the dough and feeling like it needed more of a holiday taste. Such a good decision though. The cinnamon makes the honey flavor more prominent and adds a little needed warmth to the cookies.
Two additions to the standard peanut butter cookie have transformed them into something special enough to gift to your family and friends but simple enough to please even the pickiest little cookie eaters in your clan. You’ll never return to plain peanut butter cookies after making these Peanut Butter Honey Cookies. Let me know how it goes in the comments section below.
Peanut Butter Honey Cookies
- 3/4 C butter room temperature
- 1/2 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C white sugar
- 1/4 C honey
- 1 cup peanut butter crunchy or creamy
- 1 extra-large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 and 1/3 C and 1/3 C all purpose flour
- 1 C honey roasted peanuts
- sea salt optional*
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees, and prepare 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or nonstick foil.
- Place the butter in a stand mixer bowl or a large mixing bowl. Using a mixer, cream the butter on medium speed for about 30 seconds. Add the brown and white sugar and cream on high for 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the peanut butter and mixer on medium speed for another 2 minutes or until smooth.
- Add the egg and vanilla and mix on low speed until well combined. Add the honey with the mixer still on low and continue to mix until combined. Scrape down the bowl one more time.
- Add the cinnamon, salt, baking powder, and baking soda and mix on low until combined. Turn off the mixer and add the flour. Mix on medium speed just until combined. Don’t overmix your cookie dough, or you will end up with tough cookies.
- Roughly chop the honey roasted peanuts either by hand or with a small food processor. (If you don’t have a small food processor for quick jobs like this one, I’ve linked to a great one above!) Fold the chopped peanuts into the dough with a spatula.
- Scoop 1.5 Tb cookies onto prepared baking sheets leaving plenty of room between the cookies. They will spread out quite a bit. Top each cookie with a few flakes of sea salt. Place the baking sheets into the preheated oven. Bake for 10-12 minutes, rotating the pans halfway through the cook time. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.