Pizza and burgers are two of America’s most adored comfort foods so what could possibly be better than putting the two together?!? Not a damn thing. Introducing to you, Pizza Burger Sliders!
Italian turkey sausage patties are topped with pepperoni, smoked mozzarella, peppers, and onions to create a simple but flavorful sandwich that will delight kids and adults alike.
I grew up on pizza burgers. Both of my parents attended a small university that was about an hour outside of my hometown. Whenever we visited, we stopped at a local pizza joint for pizza burgers. It was my favorite part of the trip.
Let’s break down this sandwich a little more closely. Pizza burger sliders take everyday pizza ingredients and serve them up on a bun. The ingredients for this recipe are simple but flavorful.
- Olive oil
- Italian turkey sausage- I like to use turkey sausage as a substitute for pork sausage as it’s a bit less greasy and salty.
- Black pepper
- Smoked mozzarella- Smoked mozzarella adds an additional layer of flavor to the sandwiches.
- Red bell pepper
- Marinara- Use your favorite brand. Mine is Rao’s.
- Slider buns
- Fresh basil leaves
Pizza Burger Sliders are so easy to make! There are four major steps in the process.
- Form and cook the sausage patties
- Top each patty with smoked mozzarella and pepperoni. Let the cheese melt.
- Cook the sliced peppers and onions.
- Assemble the sliders.
The only thing left to do is stuff your face with pizza deliciousness.
This recipe can easily be customized to suit your pizza taste. Feel free to add olives, jalapenos, bacon, white sauce, parmesan, etc. Truly, anything you like on your pizza works. A few other substitution options are listed below.
- Italian turkey sausage- Italian pork sausage would work as well as ground beef. If you choose ground beef, be sure to season the patties with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning in addition to the black pepper in the recipe.
- Smoked mozzarella- Standard fresh mozzarella is a good substitute. You could also use shredded or sliced mozzarella.
- Pepperoni- Soppressata or salami would also be delicious.
- Red bell pepper- Orange or yellow peppers taste very similar to red bell pepper. You could also use green bell peppers although their flavor is less sweet.
- Slider buns- Pizza burgers can easily be made as full, standard size burgers. You could also ditch the buns completely.
- Serve: Pizza Burger Sliders are best served hot and fresh.
- Store: If you are preparing in advance, do not assemble the sliders because the buns will just get soggy. Store the dressed patties in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. Wait to heat the marinara until you’re ready to assemble and serve.
- Freeze: This recipe does not freeze well.
- Reheat: Heat the dressed burger patties in the microwave or oven until warmed through. Heat the marinara as outlined in the recipe and assemble the sliders.
This recipe is incredibly simple to make, but one step that can be a little tricky is shredding the smoked mozzarella. To firm the cheese up and make it easier to grate, try putting the cheese into the freezer for 10-15 minutes before grating it.
Give this recipe a try and let me know how much you love pizza burgers in the comments section below! Be sure to also check out some of my other pizza recipes like Easy Homemade Pizza Dough and BBQ Chicken Flatbreads.
Pizza Burger Sliders
- 2 Tb olive oil divided
- 1 lb Italian turkey sausage
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 C smoked mozzarella, grated*
- 2 oz pepperoni
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 C marinara of choice
- 8 slider buns
- basil leaves optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice the onion and bell pepper. Form turkey sausage into 8 slider-size patties. Season with pepper. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 Tb of olive oil to the pan.
- Once the oil is hot, add the patties. Allow them to sear on each side for 3 minutes or until well browned.
- Top each patty with 2-3 pepperoni slices and 2 Tb of grated cheese. Top the pan loosely with foil for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese melts. Remove from the pan and place on a plate. Cover loosely with foil.
- Use the same pan you seared the patties in to saute the peppers and onions for about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the marinara in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes, stirring every minute. If you don't have a microwave, you can also heat the marinara on the stove.
- Build each slider with a patty, then peppers and onions and topped with as much marinara as you like. You can also add a final garnish of a basil leave if you like.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Fresh, shredded, or sliced mozzarella would also work.
Yes. Ground beef or Italian pork sausage would both be good substitutes. If you choose ground beef, season the patties with 1 tsp salt and ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning in addition to the black pepper in the recipe.
I'm a big fan of Rao's but any brand you like will work.